Lots of you are asking about applications, Clearing and applying for September 2015, so here are some answers to your top questions!

askBU-beach

1. I’ve been made a conditional offer to study at BU this September, but would like to take a gap year, please could I defer to 2016?

You may be able to defer your place to a later intake, depending on your circumstances, but you will usually not be allowed to defer your place for two intakes. Please email askBUenquiries@bournemouth.ac.uk with your full name, UCAS ID number, course name and reason for deferring, and one of our Advisers will contact the relevant Admissions Team.

2. What happens if I don’t meet the conditions of my offer?

Please try not to worry too much – we always look at applications as a whole and not just the academic profile. Your offer is tailored to the subject you have chosen to study, but we realise this may not match your predicted grades precisely. We’ll try to take as many new students as possible who have achieved the overall tariff score, but may not have achieved the exact offer conditions, provided we feel that they stand the best chance of succeeding on the course.

At this stage please just focus on your studies and once you have received your results, feel free to phone us here at askBU for further help.

3. I’ve had a change of heart and wish to swap my course that I’ve been made an offer on, is this possible?

Sometimes this is possible, but it depends on a number of factors. The best thing to do is email us here at askBUenquiries@bournemouth.ac.uk with your full name, UCAS ID number, course you have a place on and the one you wish to change to, then we can liaise with the relevant administrators to see if this is possible.

4. I realise it’s a bit early to register for Clearing, but is there a way I can register my details to find out what courses will become available?

When you’re applying for a university place, you may hear people talk about Clearing. This process doesn’t begin until July and August, but we would be pleased to register your details once courses are confirmed.  Please email askBUenquiries@bournemouth.ac.uk confirming the course you’re interested in.  Alternatively, you’re welcome to keep an eye on our website or Facebook page for regular updates.

5. Is it too late to apply for September 2015?

We’re still taking late applications! The official deadline for UCAS is 30 June, but if you wish to be considered we recommend you apply as soon as you can, as some courses are starting to close early.  To see whether your preferred course is still open please visit our website.

6. I’m confused!  The UCAS website mentions the new academic term starting on 1 September, is this for BU?

Our new academic term (and arrivals week) will start on Monday 21 September and not 1 September as stated on the UCAS website.  Keep an eye on our Facebook page and website for regular updates.

7. I applied some time ago and am still waiting on a response to my application. When will I hear?

We appreciate that this is an anxious time. It takes between 6-8 weeks for each application to be processed. As soon as our admissions team has reached a decision, this will be updated via UCAS Track and MyHub. If you are a Hotmail user, you may wish to check your spam box for messages. You won’t necessarily hear back at the same time as your friends and if there are any changes made to your application you will receive communications through UCAS Track and MyHub.

8. I deferred my application from last year and was awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship.  How do I go about claiming my scholarship when I start in September?

Congratulations, that’s great news! You don’t need to re-apply for this – you should automatically receive the scholarship once you join us in September. If, however, you are still waiting by the time you enrol, please take a copy of your relevant certificate and call in to see one of our colleagues in the Student Services Team at The Base on Talbot Campus. They’ll be happy to help you further!

Got another question? Just comment below or send us an email!

2 Responses to “What are you asking?”

1. M. Marina

Hi ! Could you tell me please if the Functional Skills English – Level 2 (2014) is equivalent with IGCSE ? I am from Germany and I will like to study at BU. If yes, I am entitled to apply ? Thank you very much !

Reply
    • Sara

Hello! Sorry for the delay with our response, great to hear from you. Please confirm the course you’re looking to apply for here at BU? Many thanks, askBU 🙂

Reply