BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism

Alice FiancetPicking a university can be daunting and it’s a very big decision to have to make. With so many universities out there, it can be tough to pick the one where you want to spend 3 (or maybe 4) years of your life. So I’ve come up with a list that should make it a little easier to pick the best from the bunch.

1. Placement option
Try and pick a uni that allows you the option to take a year out to do a placement. Working within the real world environment is invaluable experience and it looks so good on your CV. Sometimes it can even lead to a job after you finish your degree.

2. Qualification
Pick a uni that offers the right qualification for you.

3. Accreditation
Look out for unis that are accredited by bodies within the industry you are hoping to work in. If a course is accredited by a company/body from that profession it usually means that the course is one worth taking.

4. Location, Location, Location
Always go for a uni that is in an ideal location. If you are someone who loves being active all year round, try and find a uni that offers different types of activities to do and maybe get into a new sport. Or, if you are more into nature, look for a uni that has beautiful views in its surrounding area.

5. Nightlife
It wouldn’t be the student experience if you picked a uni where the town centre wasn’t buzzing pretty much all the time. Research what the town is like and have a look on student forums to find out where the best places to go are, that way you will never be disappointed if you decide you want to have a BNO (big night out).

6. Distance
If I was you, I would try and pick a uni that offers a little distance between you and your hometown simply because the independence and experience you will get will be second to none. I know from experience that moving far from home was the best decision I ever made because I have learnt that I am capable of looking after myself and don’t always need my mum to check I’m okay.

7. Home
My final piece of advice is this: pick somewhere that you are going to be happy to call home for the next few years, because that’s ultimately what it’s going to be.
beach---Alice
Those are my tips for picking a uni, don’t be scared to venture a little further than you feel comfortable with, because for all you know you could end up making the best decision of your life.

By Alice Fiancet