By Callum Stevens

2nd year BU student, BSc (Hons) Computing

I went to many University Open Days and made a list of pros and cons of each University I visited. Choosing which University is for you is an important and personal decision which should not be rushed. When I was looking at Universities that offered my course, I would print out the course details, University statistics, and search for ‘reviews’ on the University and location from different sources. After weighing up the pros and cons it was obvious that Bournemouth University would be the best choice for me. I applied for the BSc (Hons) Computing course and was fortunate enough to get a Conditional Offer and later be accepted into Bournemouth University.

My reasons for choosing Bournemouth were that what the course offers is current and up-to-date, the academic staff are knowledgeable and the best in the Computing field, the University have great placement contacts with well known companies and smaller local companies in broad areas. Also there is a lot to do outside of the University such as extra curriculum clubs/societies which enhance your employability, and the University have an outstanding rate of graduate employment due to offering placement years on every course.

Bournemouth has the highest proportion of Graduates in placements than any other University and has more sandwich courses than any other – giving every student the opportunity to take a placement. This makes Bournemouth stand out from the rest, and employers always look for experience so it is great these opportunities are available. With the tough job climate at the moment and a high rate of graduate unemployment, the University tackles this problem very well. Every year graduate ‘destination of leavers’ surveys are undertaken and the latest survey revealed 92% of BU graduates were either employed or in further study in 2011/12 six months after graduation.

The course I take is continuously updated so that by the time I graduate I will have future-proof skills and knowledge in current programming languages and developing technologies – which will set me apart from other graduates from different universities. The graduate and placement contacts exceeded my expectations; students have had the opportunity to go on placement trips to JPMorgan and Intel on my course. We have a very involved and helpful Placement and Careers department which help with CV’s, covering letters, filling out application forms, and preparing for interviews. We also have weekly Professional Development lectures where outside companies will come in and speak to us about their company, what types of people they are looking for, and what opportunities are available. I am currently applying for placements and the help I have received from the Careers and Placement department has been extremely valuable.

These reasons make Bournemouth an outstanding University by doing everything possible to make sure graduates gain employment. Whatever University you chose I wish you the best of luck on your exciting journey.