Produced by Guest blogger
What financial help can I get?
- Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course. This is a loan you will eventually pay back.
- Maintenance loan. This provides you with financial support throughout the year. At BU this is called the BU Maintenance Bursary and you are given a prepaid card which is topped up in nine instalments from October to June each year. You have to meet the eligibility criteria. You do not have to pay this money back.
- Scholarships, available directly through your choice of university (non repayable).
- Bursaries, available from your choice of university (non repayable).
- Non-repayable government training grant. If you are on a nursing, midwifery or allied health professionals course you may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year.
Where do I get Student Finance and when should I apply?
You can find out about funding your studies, including links to further information regarding bursaries and scholarships, on the fees and funding section of our website. Please take a look at ‘Student Finance Explained’, a handy video produced by Student Finance England, for details on what may be available to you. Students can apply for funding up to 9 months after the first day of the academic year.
How do I pay my tuition fee?
Your tuition fee loan is paid directly to the university of college. Your maintenance will be paid into your own account!
What scholarships do you offer?
BU offer a wide variety of scholarships including music, sport and an academic achievement scholarship.
You will need to look carefully to check that you meet the criteria for the scholarship you wish to be considered for. You can apply for more than one scholarship if you meet the requirements. However, you will only be awarded one if successful. Please note that you can only apply for a scholarship after submitting an application for one of our courses.
For the BU Academic Excellence Scholarship (UK) and BU Academic Excellence Scholarship (International) no applications are required, you’ll be automatically receive the award subject to meeting the criteria.
I have a dual nationality, will I pay home or overseas tuition fees?
Once the admissions team have received your application they will ask you to complete a fee assessment form, which will ask questions about where you have lived and for how long, as well as educational institutions you have attended. The team will then inform you of the outcome of this once you have completed and returned this. We cannot advise on your fee status until we have received this assessment form and your application.
I’m interested in applying for a bursary, what do BU offer?
BU offer two types of bursary for September 2021 entry:
- BU Maintenance Bursary offers up to £2,400 split across three years of study and is available to new UK students who meet the eligibility criteria.
- BU Care Leavers Bursary offers up to £9,000 over three years of study to support your learning and living costs if you meet the eligibility criteria.
If you have any queries or questions please contact our friendly Future Students Enquiry Team on:
Telephone: +44 (0)1202 961916
Live Chat: Monday-Friday 09:30-16:30 hours (GMT) – click on the pink live chat icon on our website