Guest blogger Written by

This is a guest blog by current student Eloise Pearce, studying BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science.

Dressing into my southwestern ambulance service paramedic uniform for the first time had to have been one of the proudest moments of my life and one of the scariest by far! My blue year one epaulets placed proudly on my shoulders… I was ready. Or was I?

As a first-year student on BU’s BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science course, placement is by far the most exciting part of the journey, a journey that is unique to each and every student paramedic. After being designated to a particular ambulance station, be in Bournemouth, Poole or Salisbury to name just a few, your mentor is assigned to you and then before you know it, you will be in the back of an ambulance somewhere in the south, witnessing and helping with medical emergencies.

Placement is the crucial element that glues the foundations that you learn in the classroom together. For me, placement is by far my favourite part of the Paramedic Science degree. You don’t only learn the life-saving skills needed to be a paramedic, but you also learn the finer details that no one can teach in a classroom: the time, patience and compassion needed to sit and hold someone’s hand as they grieve for a loved one, the ability to communicate effectively with people in the midst of a crisis, problem-solving skills, when it is 2am and there is no other resource available to back you up… these and many more, are all elements to the job that can only be taught by being exposed to them, thus being why placement is so crucial to your learning and development as a student paramedic.

Each placement you will come across and treat a vast variety of different patients from a diverse background, and together the mix of classroom-based study, skills sessions and placement hours will help you learn each element needed to become a successful and passionate paramedic.