At the 2020 Legacy University Nationals saw BU Falcons Coed Level 3 team placed 1st and Grand Champions! In this article our Sport BU Scholar Megan Stovell recalls her experience with the BU Falcons, Coaching and her Cheerleading career.

Throughout my university experience, being part of BU Falcons has always been a massive part of my student life. I come from an All-Star Cheer background but upon entering university I was still recovering from an ACL injury, but being a part of the university team reignited my love for the sport and fuelled my desire to get back and exceed my previous level. In my second year, I was given the opportunity to take over as Cheer Coach of the team which was a completely new experience for me and a massive learning curve. Coaching has allowed me to develop a more in-depth understanding of both the sport and the scoring system.

This year, being supported by Sport Scholarship, I have been able to balance both coaching the University team alongside training with Bournemouth Elite (Hail), who will represent England at the 2020 Cheerleading World Championships in Florida this April.

The knowledge I have gained through coaching has enabled me to improve my own performance as well as leading BU Falcons Coed Level 3 team to 1st place and Grand Champions at Legacy University Nationals last weekend, meaning we not only got the highest score of our division but also we had the highest score across the whole of Level 3. Although I do find coaching challenging at times, it is incredibly rewarding to see my team improve and compete at the highest level of University Cheerleading. One of the things I think is most important in the team is instilling the positivity, good sportsmanship and comradery that is essential in a sport that is based on a teams ability to tumble in-sync as well as lift and throw each other. It is massively important for people to understand what we actually do as there are still a lot of misconceptions about our sport but as its growing, it is so exciting to see the BBC featuring Cheerleading accurately and BU Falcons are glad to be a part of that.

You can also an article about the event written by BBC News here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51626775