Ed Fossey rounded out his season in the BTRDA gravel rally series with a strong 22nd overall and a fine podium in the R2 Rallye Cup. The Jersey born driver finished second – just 15 seconds behind the eventual winner on the recent Trackrod Rally Yorkshire (28 September) in his Yokohama Peugeot 208 R2.

After a difficult Wookpecker Stages last time out, Fossey was keen to dust himself off and round out his gravel season with a solid result. With Steve Harris sitting alongside the Channel Islander in the French machine, the duo were eager to get stuck into the five stages and get themselves into the mix on the fast and flowing Yorkshire tests.

With 83 fellow competitors the Bournemouth University graduate set off into the 45-mile gravel event – putting the front-wheel-machine up against some of the best national drivers in the country. Fossey made a steady start on the opening stage, but then relished the opportunity to open the taps on the following four stages to set a comfortable rhythm – allowing the 20-year-old to secure second in the R2 class and an impressive 22nd overall.

“This weekend has put a spring back in the step and it’s closer to where we wanted to be previously. I had been looking forward to these stages all year and I put a lot of effort into the preparation for this event – looking over previous onboards and my pacenotes, so I could hit the ground running. The event had places where you could really push and some others where you have to back off and give caution.

“The first stage was shortened, and we lost abit of time there – putting us slightly on the back foot and we couldn’t find a good rhythm. On the other four stages we had a strong front running pace and we were comfortable, and we didn’t take any risks. I am very happy with the result, and a great way to end the gravel championship on a high. It has been a difficult year balancing my final year at university and rallying but now with the degree over and this result, I can look forward to my home event in a fortnight.”

Ed Fossey will be rejoined by Guernsey navigator Will Rutherford in the Yokohama Peugeot 208 R2 for the Roberts Garages Ltd Jersey Rally on 11/13 October. Fossey is relishing the return to tarmac and will be gunning for a strong result on home soil.

iPro Sport- TeamBU #TeamTakeover