Bournemouth University, SportBU, TeamBU, BUCSCompetition: BUCS Midlands Championship 2019

Date: 22-24th September

Location: Hollinwell (Notts Golf Club)

Writen by: Richard Cheetham

Despite not the best summer golf wise I felt confident going into the week, however I knew the competition would be tough with some great players from other Universities playing. I have been playing competitive golf for 12 years and this was the first time ever I’d played a competition of this magnitude and not played the course before as we were unable to play a practice round, however, we did walk the course the evening we arrived on the 21st and I got a good feel for the place and felt comfortable going into tomorrows round.

The same time the tournament was taking place my sister Annie was starting Nottingham Trent University so my parents after dropping her off went watched my for the first round which was on the Sunday. This was useful as my bag was very heavy as torrential rain was forecasted later on in the day so I made my dad carry my golf bag on that day and caddy for me which normally ends in an argument of some sort. What helped is that I got off to a great start making a birdie on the first which helped settle the nerves and puts me in a confident mind frame for the rest of the round. In the end I shot 73 (+1) in some tough conditions on a very difficult golf course which put me 4th and 3 off the lead with 2 rounds to go and we had 2 other players in the top 15 with Joe hack and Ross Murgatroyd at +5 so it was looking promising.

I did think in the back of my mind that the 3rd and last round might be cancelled due to the massive storm that was forecasted on the Monday night, however, I didn’t let this affect me and played 1 shot at a time. I started my first round with 2 bogeys which put me +3 for the tournament and +2 on the day and at that point I was starting to think I might miss the cutt. However I steadied the ship with a birdie on the next and even played the front 9 in -2 with the highlight coming with an eagle on the 6th hole. The back 9 was a different kettle of fish and I made 2 bogies on the 13th and 16th to put me at level par for the day and +1 for the tournament with 2 holes left to play. I then went on to hit a terrible chip on the 17th which resulted in a par on the easy par 5 and afterwards hit my approach shot on the challenging 18th hole short right which left me about 25 yards to go. I picked where I wanted to land it and luckily enough it went in so I ended up shooting a 71(-1) for the day and level par for the tournament which I was pleased with despite my start to the round, this left me 1 ahead of my nearest competitor at the top of the Leaderboard.

The final day came and although I hoped the final day was cancelled due to the weather I was still in the mindset I was going to have to go out and battle for the win. However, as i was going through my practice routine torrential rain started to fall and 20 mins before I was about to tee off play was suspended due to flooding. After about 40 minutes of waiting to see if the conditions were going to improve the organisers and the referees decided to cancel the day which resulted in a 2 day event and it meant that I had won. What made the victory more sweet was that the winning shot was a chip in on the last hole for birdie in front of all my teammates and the clubhouse. This win was defiantly the biggest of my career as it enlisted and gave a World Amateur Golf Ranking something which I had been waiting ages for and we all went and celebrated on the Sunday after we got back which was a great occasion after 3 of us had finished in the top 15.

Click to see more

Complete Competition photo Album

iPro Sport- TeamBU #TeamTakeover