Bournemouth University Logo

BU Athlete: Danielle Broom’s Athlete’s Story

Written by: Danielle Broom

This current athletics season has brought many aspects of success to my overall career, and started my first senior year off in a very good way. With national under 23 championships on the horizon at the end of June, there has been a few competitions in the lead up to this. Winning the two senior league competitions that have already taken place in the hammer and discus, the main highlight so far of this very early season has to be breaking the Dorset county hammer record by 10.75m which has been hold for a numerous amount of years now.

No sport is easy to balance alongside a degree, but the support that I have received from my sports scholarship has been phenomenal. From receiving financial support, strength and conditioning/gym access, physiotherapy and workshops, it has allowed me to progress throughout the year whilst having all of the support at university that I need to continue the vigorous training day in, day out to get to where I want to be. The scholarship that I have received this academic year has allowed myself to purchase equipment and kit that I have been able to use within my training sessions to gain the most possible out of it.

Not only has it helped with the purchase of kit and equipment, it covered the cost to go to the British University Championships in Bedford. Being one of the youngest in the field in both the hammer and discus, I qualified with my first throw in the hammer qualifier, gaining the automatic qualification distance, and qualified 5th in discus pools to progress to both of the respective finals. Overall finishing 5th in the discus and 8th in the hammer, being one of the youngest in the field, this has now provided the fuel to train harder and to go back next year to fight even harder to bring back a medal.

The support from the university has been gratefully received and I cannot thank them enough for the continued support over my first year here at Bournemouth.

iPro Sport- TeamBU #TeamTakeover