Matthew Hibbs account of the days play

Matthew Hibbs Story

Bournemouth University, SportBU, GolfFrom the 15th October- 17th October, myself and 12 other golfers from the Golf squad headed to Birmingham to compete in the BUCS Midlands Tournament as part of the 2018/19 BUCS tour.  We all headed to the event hoping to win or earn points in the Order of Merit to qualify for Tour Finals where the top 50 golfers who earn the most points through the season will qualify.

Bournemouth University, SportBU, TeamBU, BUCS

The three days started off with a real test as heavy rain hit the area for the whole day. Looking at the forecast prior to my round I knew it was going to be a day where I had to work hard for a score and to not get frustrated with making bogeys as I knew everyone was going to have some. I managed to put in a very solid performance for the first 16 holes, but unfortunately a poor finish put me 3 shots off the lead alongside my BU teammate Joe Swaine.

The second day saw much better conditions, therefore I knew a low score was needed to stay in contention to win my first individual BUCS event. I played extremely well, however I struggled to hole any putts meaning I just couldn’t close the gap on the leaders. This was very frustrating for me because I felt as though I had played well enough to give myself a chance to win when realistically I was probably a few shots off.

As always in golf you have to remain positive, and that’s what I did going into the final day. I knew I was playing well enough for a good score and that’s what I kept telling myself. Although it was going to take something extraordinary to win, I still had lots of Order of Merit points to play for and a place at Tour Finals. Happily, for me, it was a fantastic way to finish my individual season. With a score of 3 under par, I moved myself up 5 places from 9th to 4th which I was delighted with.

As a squad we had a number of brilliant performances. In the Men’s competition they are as follows:

Joe Swaine T2nd

Matthew Hibbs 4th,

Joe Hack T11th

Lui Craddock T15th

Jake Harvey T18th

In the Women’s competition we had Alice Kozlowski finish 6th and Racheal Goodwin 9th.

This is an extremely strong start to the year for the BU Golf squad so hopefully we can build on this to win the leagues and cups in the team competitions.

(Click to Expand)

Joe Swaines account of the days play

Joe Swaines Story

Here is my review of the Midlands Tournament:

The midlands Tournament at Little Aston was my first time representing the university in a BUCS stroke play event and it was and event to remember for many reasons. After travelling up on the Sunday we were welcomed with tricky playing conditions on the Monday which proved a tough test. I may have had a stroke of luck have a late tee time but the rain was fairly persistent all day making it very tough on the greens. Despite this I battled to a solid 74 (+2) despite bogeying 17 and 18 I was happy with this and it left me T4 after the first round.

Round two was completely different, having been handed the same 12.30 tee time after my first round I was paired with two guys off of plus 2 and plus 4. It was a great experience for me playing with some very good golfers and I played well, carding 7 birdies and 4 bogeys for a 69 (-3) despite the good score I was slightly disappointed as the 4 bogeys were all avoidable. Despite this I had still put myself top of the leaderboard by 1 heading into the last round, I was thrilled with this as my objective for the week was to just make the cut with it being my first tournament.

Onto the last round and again perfect conditions, and with the extra help of Captain Dave I felt confident pre round. I was nervous to begin with and it took me a couple of holes to get going but a great shot on the third from under the trees to set up an eagle chance settled me down. A birdie there and on the next had me 2 under through 4 and 1 clear. Unfortunately I missed a 5 foot birdie chance on the next to go 3 under for the day but I remained in a good position.

I closed the front nine with a great shot into the par 3 9th, making a 2 in the process leaving me 3 under for the day and still one clear of my playing partner who was also 3 under on the day. Onto the back nine and I hit a great shot on 10 to about 15 feet, again the putt didn’t drop so another par which was okay. For the first time in the day I lost my lead on 11, my partner hitting it close and making a 3 so the lead was gone. I didn’t help matters on the next finding the water on the par 5 and then my partner going birdie birdie left me 3 back all of a sudden with 5 to play. My chance to gain some momentum came on the 14th but again I missed a 6 footer for birdie. 4 final pars meant that I unfortunately came in a tie for second losing to my partner by 3 after a flawless 66 (-6) from him. But still I was happy, I had played well again he just holed some putts at crucial moments and I couldn’t follow him up. A final round 70 (-2) left me -3 for the tournament.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience, spent with great people and I think the team spirit was great throughout the week, it helped motivate and lift myself especially. Big Thankyou to Dave for caddying for me too I the last round he certainly helped out a lot.

(Click to Expand)