Fresh after clinching his second rallying title in as many years, 20-year-old Ed Fossey is coming home to contest the Roberts Garage Ltd Jersey Rally next weekend (12-13 October). The Bournemouth University student will return to the island with his exciting Yokohama Peugeot 208 R2 – a car that won him the MSA Asphalt Championship R2 category with a round to spare. With the title in the bag, Fossey was eager to return to his rallying homeland.

“After competing in Belgium, Ireland and the UK this year, I have been itching to go and do one event in particular and that has been and always will be the Jersey Rally,” enthused Fossey.

There is a strong rallying history in the Fossey household, with Ed being a third generation competitor. Delving deeper it was clear as to why the Island classic is a permanent fixture on the calendar in the family household.

“I don’t think I have missed a single rally since I have been born! The event is very special to me and has everything a rally should. The whole build-up and atmosphere on the stages is amazing and the compact route with high stage mileage makes it a real challenge. The organsiers do a really great job and the residents are fantastic in allowing this great event for the island to happen. And the best thing is, there isn’t much in the way of traveling – and I get to sleep in my own bed at night!”

The Jersey Rally always attracts a strong entry and it is easy to see why, with classic stages including Waterworks, Trinity and Les Platons offering a real test for man and machine. With two days and a grueling night in the Jersey lanes ahead, how is Ed approaching his fourth home event?

“It’s not part of my championship so I feel really relaxed coming into the rally as I don’t have to think about points or a longer term campaign and I can just go out and get the best result possible. I do however have to have some caution as the final round of the asphalt championship is just a fortnight later and I am fighting for a good overall position in that so like with any event you have to have that fine balance.”

With Ed’s pace getting ever quicker and in a newer and more potent machine in the Peugeot 208 for 2018, what is the former Victoria College student looking at achieving across the two days with Guernseyman Will Rutherford in the co-drivers seat?

“I finished 13th overall last year and I was really happy with that, but this year with a season of tarmac events in the car I am going for a similar result, if not better. The Peugeot will be well suited to the lanes and the 1600 class that I will be in will be very competitive so I would like to be mixing it at the front for the class award. I would be disappointed if I wasn’t. If it rains, it will suit us more as the bigger, more powerful cars wont be able to put all the power down so we could then be fighting for a strong result overall.”

The Jersey Rally gets underway next weekend (12-13 October) with two days through the iconic tight and narrow lanes. Ed will then travel to northern England for the final round of Protyre MSA Asphalt Rally Championship where he is fighting for a top six championship position and first front-wheel-drive car in the series standings.