Bournemouth University Weightlifting Captain Simon Prentice came 1st in the men’s 105kg weight class at the ‘Bristol Open 2’ on February 17th.
– Practice run through for BUCS on April 21st/22nd, where he will be looking to achieve a top 3 finish in a competitive weight class.
– All lifts were made, with PBs across the board.
– Snatch: 105, 110, 115 (PB lift)
– Clean and Jerk: 135, 145, 150 (PB lift)
– 2nd biggest lifts of the competition only beaten by Commonwealth Games athlete Rhodri West in the weight class above.
In a practice run before BUCS on April 21st/22nd, Simon Prentice competed at the ‘Bristol Open 2’ at ‘myGYM’ in Bristol in the men’s 105kg weight class.
Coached by Noorin Gulam on the day, he achieved 6/6 lifts for the first time, which is a big milestone for any weightlifter, and in the process made new personal bests across the board.
He snatched 115kg and Clean and Jerked 150kg for a 265kg total, which qualifies Simon for the Britsih u23s in the 105kg class, September 15th. His 265kg total was also the best total he’s achieved in competition, 16kg more than his 2nd best competition total. This was also the 2nd biggest total out of all lifters on the day, only beaten by Commonwealth Games Athlete Rhodri West.
Simon Prentice – BU Weightlifting Captain
‘Since a disappointing competition at the British U23s in October, my coach Stuart Martin and I have worked hard to improve my technique and physical weaknesses and its great to see the effort we’ve put in pay off. This was the perfect result going into BUCS and I feel like I’m in great shape going into the competition.’