Team BU, SportBU, Bournemouth University #TeamBU

TeamBU athlete Hannah Geer has been selected to represent in the English Universities Womens Football team who are talking part in the 2017 Tri-Nations Tournament. Hannah went up against all footballers across England in Regional and then National Trials to be selected.

We are extremely #BUProud of Hannah and wish her the best at the 2017 event against Scotland and Wales.

Hannah Geer SportBU Women's Football Bournemouth University Team BU

Enlarge

We caught up with Hannah to find out about her sport:

Current External Team (if playing):

“Signed to Southampton Women’s, but don’t play at the moment due to final year.”

Previous playing experience:

• “12 years old trialed for Southampton centre of Excellence.
  • 12 years old my school won the County cup so we went to Barcelona to play against 3 teams over there.
  • 15 years old played for a 5aside local team (Hedge end rangers)
  • 16 years old signed for Southampton Womens FC”

How you got into your sport:

“I use to play football in the park with my friends and on the school play ground. I only played for a team once we had football for PE at secondary school (Thornden school). They came up to me after the lesson and told me I should come along to the girls after school football team, so I did.”

What you love about your sport:

“I Love football because I am incredibly competitive, each game is different, it tests my ability in every way, fitness, speed, strength, touch, decision making. I love the feeling of winning a game. When I am defending I exceed in 1 v 1 situations, before the game, I tell my self, no one is going to get past me. I love 1v1’s so I can prove my self, I think football is 20% physical and 80% Psychological. My position is an attacking full back,  I enjoy making the opposition get frustrated because they either can’t get past me, or they can’t tackle me.”

Where you want your sport to take you (playing level in the future or after uni)?

“I have been asked to join Portsmouth Ladies, which for me is for short term. I am hoping to get trials for Brighton Ladies who are in WSL2 or another WSL2 team. For me I would be content playing at that level.”

How you feel about your England call up and what are you looking forward to about the Home Nations Event:

“I’ve had so much rejection in football, but it was my motivation to prove my self. I always believe I can learn new stuff, and I am eager to do so. This call up has been the highlight of my football. I never thought I would get in. My personal goal was to get through the regional stage. So to get through to the national squad, I am ecstatic. All my hard work in the gym, running after training sessions, working on my football has all been worth it. This is probably going to be my only chance of representing my country in some way, so I am cherishing every moment of it. I am looking forward to represent my university at a high level, but also represent my country. i am looking forward to playing high level football, with a bunch of girls who play in leagues such as WSL1 and WSL2. I am most looking forward to what the future may hold for my football. I hope this opens a door which I thought was shut and locked up a long time ago.”

Click to Enlarge