Basketball Head Coach Michael Dronyk gives his account of the womens basketball team winning away at Bath and securing the 2015/16 Western Tier 2 League:

The win yesterday away to Bath (68-33) gave the 2A league championship title to BUW. The match was controlled throughout by the squad’s constant pressure both on the offensive and defensive ends.

This year the squad was led by their captain Ana Henriques Sanchez. I cannot say enough about Ana’s talent, commitment and leadership abilities. I have coached Ana for her 3 years at BU and I must say that she will certainly be missed next year by both myself and the BU Basketball Varsity Programme. In all my years of coaching I have never had a better respected captain and player as I have had in Ana.

The squad this year is very talented and hardworking. All of the players contributed in training, on the bench or on the court. With only one early season loss to Plymouth the squad has worked hard to remain undefeated since. The squad has a good chance this year to win the cup and league double which will be the second in three years for a BUW’s squad.

We will have 6 returning players next season which will give us a good base for our run at the 1A title.

Michael Dronyk
Head Coach
Bournemouth University Varsity Basketball Programme

Come and watch the team return to action next week at 5pm in the Sports Hall on Talbot Campus in the Conference Cup Semi Final against South Wales.