The audience responds …

Posted on 28. Nov, 2011 by in Uncategorized

Members of the audience of the premiere of Rufus Stone were asked to pen their reactions to and thoughts about Rufus Stone.  Some of the best are reported below.

Its a fantastic way to disseminate research findings, bring them to life, make the audience interact with them.

I had feared that the movie’s content might be somewhat didactic – educating rather than truly engaging its audience, but instead felt that viewers had been invited into the privacy of real lives and was profoundly moved by that willingness to share difficult experiences and emotions. …I think that this project reveals precisely what autoethnographic and biographical qualitative research should be about – its potential to make people think and to question constraining orthodoxies. …I hope that those present at the first public showing who had consented to talk about their pasts in the initial research find some comfort in the knowledge that they have contributed to such an important project.

The story was so like my own experiences; I was very moved. It reminded me that all those years ago, I felt it was just me, there was nobody with anything like my lifestyle, so alone and sad for most of the time.

I think Rufus stone is so emotionally gripping; it really shows what ethnodrama should be. The power between entertainment and people’s real lives.

Critically the authenticity of the film shone through – the characters were real and genuine.

This is an exceptional short film, and because of its length and the immediacy of the messages it conveys to both oppressed and victimisers I really feel most strongly that when all of the further stages of progress have been made, that it could and should play a unique and ground-breaking role in terms of LGBT anti-discrimination educational work at colleges, schools, and especially with internal distribution to UK public services organisations.

I think this is a brilliant way to portray research, you could stand in front of people and talk for ever on this issue but with deep seated beliefs and values not really open them to new ways of thinking.  By being able to watch something that is as powerful as this and then encouraged to talk about it could support reflection for people and could start to get them to think about values and attitudes and the consequences of those on people. 

Rufus Stone is truly ground-breaking. …The film is not an end in itself — no matter how successful it is in terms of presentation of human psychology on a number of fronts — but serves as a potent basis upon which important anti-discrimination educational initiatives can be launched.

Having come from a generation where homosexuality is mostly integrated and accepted, I hadn’t considered the older generations’ attitudes and perceptions at all. …A film is an excellent way to reach a wider audience who wouldn’t read an academic journal.  I really believe this film will encourage greater communication surrounding what’s sometimes a taboo subject in certain communities. This will encourage acceptance, reduce isolation and enhance quality of life for older lesbians and gay men in rural communities.

I would envisage tapping into the excellent, existing rural touring networks ….  Discussion can sometimes be  a very sticky thing for audience members who are also neighbours. I would not aim for a theme around sexual orientation as that would restrict the audience – first love; growing up in the country; both speak to me strongly. I think audiences will respond powerfully to such an event, but maybe prefer to go away to think rather than reveal their knee-jerk reactions.

I thought Rufus Stone was incredible and it completely changed my thoughts. Having come from a generation where homosexuality is mostly integrated and accepted, I hadn’t considered the older generations at all.

I found the film very moving. I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

Me and my partner talked about the emotions of the film all the way back to London.