Hear from Alexander and Sushila, currently studying MSc Physician Associate Studies, about what they love about their course and why they chose this career path.

Physician Associate (PA) studies is a fantastic opportunity for graduates to become healthcare professionals, helping to diagnose and treat patients. Bournemouth University offers an intense two-year training course led by Chantel Simons (GP) preparing you to work as a qualified PA. Early clinical exposure (two months from starting) is what makes our course so unique and allows students to maximise their learning. Bournemouth University also offer a number of simulation opportunities that allow PA students to develop their skills in a safe setting. Post-qualification, the PA profession is relatively new to the area and so there are many appealing work opportunities in primary care, secondary care and mental health within the county.

I decided to become a PA after completing my Biomedical Sciences degree at Southampton University. The profession is well suited to me, as I get to work alongside other healthcare professionals in a challenging work environment to provide excellent patient care.

Being a 2nd Year PA Student I have had numerous stimulating placements, of particular interest to me is Emergency Medicine, this is an area I aim to work in post-qualification. I am also passionate about educating the future generation of PAs and so this is my other career aspiration.

Alexander Marc Smith-Vidal

Physician Associate Student (2nd Year)

I have always envisioned myself to be a part of the NHS to help contribute towards the society and people in need. The role of Physician Associate allows me to achieve this as it enables me to work as a health care professional alongside doctors to help diagnose and manage patients.

Bournemouth University is great for the Physician Associate course as the course enables you an early clinical exposure with good theoretical and clinical practice for each module. The university also ensures that you have an allocated clinical supervisor, who aims to make sure you achieve all the learning opportunities available. They are also there to answer any queries or difficulties you face during your clinical placement.

Sushila Roka

Physician Associate Student (2nd Year)