A postgraduate law qualification has helped Keziah Gitonga pursue her passion for social justice by taking up a role with the British Red Cross.

Since completing the LLM Law Framework in 2015, Keziah has joined the charity as a Service Co-ordinator within the International Family Tracing Team. The team helps to connect people in the UK with family members separated as a result of war, natural disaster or migration. Keziah works with individuals across three counties in the North West of England.

She said: “My Master’s degree helped me to see that a legal qualification could open up routes to work for organisations beyond typical law firms. Social justice and humanitarian issues have always been at the heart of why I pursued law in the first place, so this has been instrumental in shaping my career.”

For Keziah, the course not only developed her skills and knowledge, but also helped to broaden her outlook on life. She said: “The course helped me to find my voice and gave me an opportunity to interact with people from different parts of the world. One of my proudest moments was working with colleagues to produce an article on cyber law. This will act as a lasting legacy, which others can hopefully learn from and draw on.

“I would encourage anyone thinking of taking a Master’s qualification to go for it. It shapes you as an individual, whether you are pursuing it for career development or for other reasons. There is obviously a financial cost and it is challenging at times, but for me, it was worth it. The programme involves lots of independent reading and study which means you’ll need to be self-motivated and enthusiastic. It, therefore, helps if you have a clear goal as to what you want to achieve.”