Martina Gardeva (Bulgaria)

My name is Martina and I am a Bulgarian postgraduate student in MSc Tourism Management and Marketing. I took the important decision to join Bournemouth University one year ago and I can honestly say it was one of the best choices I have ever made in my life. I absolutely love it here and this is why:

One of the most international universities

BU is one of the universities with the highest number of international students in the UK. It is proud of its cultural diversity! On my course, for example, all 120 people are international and I consider myself lucky enough to have met and learnt about so many different cultures and traditions – from countries like Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, USA, Spain, Russia, Greece, Brazil, China to name just a few. It is an amazing mixture of nationalities!

A university that looks after its students

Once I came to study at BU, I was truly impressed by the way it took care of its students’ needs and desires. There are so many different organisations such as the Student Wellbeing Centre or the Student Union, who will do everything they can to make sure you are have the time of your life! The events the university organise are also impressive, from the Opening Ceremony at the beginning of the academic year to the Summer Ball at the very end. What is more, BU is organising so many conferences and festivals such as the CHME, Festival of Learning, BFX, Fusion in London and so many more.

Prepares you for industry

I am really pleased to share that my course has turned out to be very practical and industry oriented, which I believe will help me to pursue my future career. I have had the amazing opportunity to learn first-hand from business professionals and guest lecturers. I believe the university has helped to prepare me to for the real world and I can put into practice everything I have learnt here.

An amazing campus

BU is in the top 50 new universities in the world and its campus facilities are truly impressive. From the state of the art Fusion building to the modern sports centre and SUBU. On top of that, there are many green areas and places for students to simply hang out and relax.

Gives you so many opportunities

One of the best things about BU is the fact it organises so many career fairs and job networking events for its students, it makes the job-hunting so much easier. The Career Hub is always ready to give advice about interview tips, your CV or cover letters and they offer many workshops.  They have helped me a lot and I highly recommend paying them a visit. There is also the Global Talent Programme and the placement option for postgraduates, which not many universities in the UK offer.

Even though my experience at BU has definitely been challenging at times, I am really grateful for  amazing time I have had. I will never forget it!

Martina Gardeva, Bulgaria, MSc Tourism Management 2017/18