Madison MillerMadison has just completed her MA Media and Communication. Before she left, we quizzed her about her BU experience.

What was your main reason for studying a postgraduate qualification?

I’ve always wanted to continue my education. I thrive in academia.

Why did you choose BU?

BU is highly ranked for media, they provide a large career portal to aid in placements and job searches, I wanted to move abroad, my course was theory/ research based, USA federal loans helped cover tuition fees.

What are the best things about your course and academic experience overall?

I became a student rep for my cohort, which allowed me to get to know everyone. With that, I was also able to obtain my level 5 SUBU leadership award. Being a student rep also allowed me to attend meetings, where I got to see how the lecturers and unit leaders really do care about the course and student feedback. Likewise, I was really involved with BU, running for VP of Welfare and Equal Opportunities, and co-hosting the first ever Masters Student Research Conference.

What are your favourite things about living and studying in Bournemouth?

I’m an international student and I found myself making many international friends. There is the Global Cafe, One World Day, and other events that have introduced me to people from all over. We connect and relate because we are far from home and learning a new culture, together. Also, there are great places to eat, the beach, and everything is in walking distance.

What were your career aspirations before coming to BU and what are they now?

I would like to obtain a PhD and am looking into areas of philosophy and communication, that hasn’t changed since I started my MA.

How do you feel your experience at BU will help you in your future career?

BU is a positive stepping stone between where I was and where I’m going. I opted into the optional placement year and anticipate the practical skills will help make me stand out with my PhD applications.

What financial support have you been eligible for?

I have US Federal loans through FAFSA.

What piece of advice would you give to a prospective postgraduate student considering BU?

The Master’s degree is short, only a year. I’d say take advantage of what BU offers to make the most of it. Become a student rep, join a society, take a placement, all of this will help with forming your identity and give you purpose and belonging.

This course is theory based and some students haven’t enjoyed it. Make sure you read the course description and attend the opening day to ask questions.