Mitchell Davis (USA)

Independence Day, also known as the Fourth of July, celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence and represents liberation from Britain. Celebrations take place on the fourth of July every year, as this is the date when the Declaration of Independence went into effect in 1776.

Depending on what state you live in, the festivities around July 4th can vary. Typically, you get together with family and friends for a nice barbeque and wait until dark to watch fireworks. For me, when I lived in Texas, we would get a large group of friends and family together and throw a pool party. The pool party would include grilling out, playing outdoor games and enjoying each other’s company while listening to some country music.

Now that I live in Bournemouth, my fourth of July will be quite similar. I will head to the beach with a group of friends and have a barbeque while playing games and if warm enough, swim in the ocean.

To me, as well as many other Americans believe the 4th of July is the day we can really show our patriotism. It also reminds us about those in the military who protect us day in and day out around the world. The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays, it brings family and friends together in an outdoor setting. Whether it is celebrated at a pool, on a boat on the lake or on the beach next to the ocean, what makes it my favourite is the people I get to surround myself with and enjoy great conversations.

Mitchell Davis, USA, MBA, 2017/18