Bruna Tolomeli (Brazil)

I am Bruna Tolomeli from Brazil and have been studying a Master’s in Post Production Editing here at BU since September 2017. One of the biggest advantages of living in Bournemouth is that it is located in Dorset. The entire region has breath-taking views and spectacular sightseeing. I will share with you a few of my favourites.

Jurassic Coast

Exploring the Jurassic Coast is a must! It is easy to find prehistoric fossils along the coast here, so it is like traveling back in time! The beaches at Lyme Regis and Charmouth are the most well-known in this area. Just by walking along them you can find some pretty amazing fossils. On top of that, the view is simply outstanding! Durdle Door, a massive natural arch by the sea, is definitely the most iconic place around this area. Make some sandwiches and have a picnic with friends while watching the sunset. Due to the prehistoric heritage, there is an annual festival called The Lyme Regis Fossil Festival with lots of music, dancing, talks and exhibitions.

The Gardens

Dorset is also known for its gardens. Since I am a big admirer of flowers, I have visited some gardens in this area. There are two which took my breath away: Forde Abbey and Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens. The first is The Kennard Family’s garden and it is home to England’s tallest powered fountain, and of course it has beautiful flowers arranged around a well-organised garden. Take an afternoon to taste their cake and have some tea. The second one is home to exotic plant species from all around the world! It also has a teahouse where you can enjoy your afternoon tea while admiring the garden.

Cycling to The New Forest

For those who enjoy cycling, I highly recommend you bike from Bournemouth to the New Forest, taking a break at Hengistbury Head’s beach to enjoy an outstanding view. It is only 15 km and you can take a few breaks along the coast before passing by Christchurch, another town worth spending some time exploring. The ride will take around 2 hours.

These are just a few highlights from my personal experiences, but I still have lots to discover and I am sure once you are here you will find plenty of places to visit which will interest you.

Bruna Tolomeli, Brazil, MA Post Production Editing, 2017/2018