Tsz Kam Yeung

Food for every taste and life style

I am Tsz Kam Yeung from Hong Kong, studying MSc Events Marketing. When people talk about the food in the UK, fish & chips would be the first thing in their mind. However, I am going to say the food in Bournemouth is more than just fish & chips. Let me share my eating experiences with you.

A varied and healthy meal plan 

I live in a student accommodation which offers a meal plan served in-house at the Compass Restaurant. The restaurant has different themes every day, for example, deep south dishes or Asian food. They also remind us to stay healthy by supplying fruits and a salad bar. Sometimes they will have chocolate waffles as dessert. The restaurant has set opening times, so I have developed a regular eating habit and have 3 meals per day.

Cooking for yourself 

If you want to eat healthily, save some money and you are living in accommodation without a meal plan, there are 2 supermarkets located in Lansdowne, ASDA and Tesco Express. I love shopping at ASDA. It has everything you need for cooking such as vegetables, meat, bread as well as ready-meal food. Also, there is a counter for worldwide food which I like the most, as I can find Vita soy milk (Hong Kong brand).

There is a Chinese supermarket near the train station. if you need a specific Hong Kong brand – Lee Kum Kee, or traditional Chinese food like dumplings, you can find it there. Although it might be a little bit more expensive than Hong Kong, it is good to have some Chinese food sometimes.

Hanging out with friends 

Besides cooking for myself, I also eat out with friends. Mostly we choose Asian food such as Chinese or Korean. I have 2 favourite restaurants in Bournemouth, Little Asia for Chinese food and Kori for Korean food. Both of them are near the train station and offer vegan food. 

Most of the girls love traditional afternoon tea and  I really like the scones. There is a tearoom called Frieda’s Tearoom in Bournemouth and they offer afternoon tea and lovely cakes. It is a small café and away from the crowd. The atmosphere is very good and the food is delicious. It is a great place for catching up with friends or enjoying some cream tea by yourself. If you want a unique afternoon tea experience in Bournemouth, the tearoom also provides an afternoon tea bus tour and it drives along the Bournemouth seafront. Therefore, you can enjoy the tea and the beautiful seafront at the same time.

There are many other options available but no matter what you choose, I hope have given you some ideas of what to eat in Bournemouth.

By Tsz Kam Yeung, Hong Kong, Msc Events Marketing, 2017/18