Bruna Tolomeli (Brazil)

I am Bruna Tolomeli from Brazil studying a Master’s in Post Production Editing. Study in England has always been my dream, but supporting myself financially whilst studying brought me a lot of anxiety, even before arriving in Bournemouth. However, all the anxiety went away when I received the confirmation that I would become a Student Ambassador for Bournemouth University.

Student Ambassador

Before coming to the UK, I received emails from the university with job opportunities. There were three which stood out: working at the Student Union’s outlet, being a member of the Student Union’s bar staff, or working as a Student Ambassador. When I was still in Rio de Janeiro, I applied for the latter by sending a video that I made myself about a day in my home town. Luckily, I was one of the selected Student Ambassadors. The aim of the job is to inform prospective students about Bournemouth University, according to our experiences. To do so, we create blogs and vlogs, run live chats, call prospective students who want to speak to us, give campus tours, post about our experiences on social media, etc… It is a flexible job which gives me the freedom to accept or decline job offers according to my availability.

Shops around town

If you are not successful in becoming a Student Ambassador or if it doesn’t suit you, don’t worry! Bournemouth town centre has countless part-time job opportunities for you. When you walk around the town, you will find many pubs and shops. You can leave your CV and cover letter with whoever you would like to work for.  Alternatively, you can search online for positions available and send your CV via email.  BU also assists you in finding part-time jobs.  The Career and Employability Services post job vacancies on their website and offer workshops for those who would like to learn how to write CV’s and cover letters or even practice face-to-face interviews.  One way or another, finding a part-time job won’t be a big problem. The opportunities are right in front of you!

International Students and work permits

International Students on a Tier 4 Student Visa, please be aware! We need to make sure we don’t surpass the number of hours our visa permit allows us to work. Respecting it is crucial!  All Tier 4 Student Visa holders can only work 20 hours per week, which is more than enough for those of us who study!  It is also important to remember not to overload yourself with extra work.  Focusing on your studies is the most important thing!

By Bruna Tolomeli, Brazil, MA Post Production Editing, 2017/18