Kamila Bianchi (Brazil)

I am Kamila Bianchi, studying MA 3D Computer Animation. Brazilians are known for being happy, excited and friendly. Living here and socializing with so many different cultures have made me realise that some of these stereotypes are actually true.

Sharing the Brazil nobody knows

Although we usually meet Brazilians anywhere around the world, I am the only Brazilian in my class. This is a nice topic to start a conversation, as people are really interested in the cultural differences that we have in Brazil. Most Europeans don’t know too much about Brazil, besides samba and beaches. So, it is amazing being able to tell them a little about our history and what else Brazil has to offer.

Boots on the beach

For a Brazilian the British weather is always cold. And I am from Sao Paulo, which is not even the hottest area in Brazil. However, I am managing to cope well with the weather. It is also interesting to observe people here going to the beach even when it is cold. In Brazil, we only go to the beach if it is really sunny. Here, families go to the beach just for a walk, a picnic, to play with their dogs and children, and often wear ski clothes and boots.

A taste of home

One of the things I miss the most about Brazil is the food. Fortunately, there is a store in the town centre called “Rio – the Internet Café”, which sells produce we cannot find in regular supermarkets, such as “pao de queijo”, “farofa” and “guarana”. As an excuse to introduce some of my Brazilian culture to my classmates, I always make them “brigadeiros”, the most typical sweet from Brazil made with condensed milk and chocolate powder. Everyone loves it! Finding good coffee was probably the hardest thing. I tried using a French Press and grain coffee, but ended up finding a very tasty soluble coffee that I drink every day. If anyone have a good recommendation for coffee, I am still looking!

By Kamila Bianchi, Brazil, Masters in 3D Computer Animation, 2017/18