Trine Olsen (Denmark)

My name is Trine Olsen form Denmark. I am studying MSc in Forensic Anthropology and I’d like to tell you about my second home here in Bournemouth – the Sir Michael Cobham Library.

Preventing procrastination

I am not very good at getting things done when I am at home. I need to go somewhere else to study and the library is perfect for that. There are always students around working, which gives the place an awesome atmosphere that inspires productivity. I can honestly say that I have spent entire days in the library. From the moment it opened until it was pitch black outside. I like to pack a lunch, some snacks, and my laptop, and just go and have a study marathon for the day. I get so much done!

Study vibes

No matter what kind of person you are, there’s a study space for you! If you like it quiet, if you need a PC, if you’re in a group…the list goes on. I particularly like to go to the post graduate section of the library. There is almost always an empty study space and the study vibe there really helps me maintain my motivation. As a perk, I often run into people I know, so I have someone to go with on a coffee run when a break is needed.

Special perks

The rest of the library is very nice as well. There are numerous study spaces. You can always find a place to sit, and there’s electrical sockets at all the tables for your laptop or other electronics if you brought some from home. If you need to look something up in a book, they are right there! Convenient and easy. The self-checkout machines for taking books out of the library or returning them are easy to use and the personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

Time to get techno

A resource that I personally haven’t used yet, but I see people use all the time, are the techno-booths. They sound as fancy as they are – small booths that you can use for studying in groups, equipped with a PC and a large screen that you can all see at once. It’s ideal for sharing group work and practicing presentations. From what I see, they are very popular – remember to book one in advance from the library website if you’re planning on using one.

All in all, I would recommend the library to anyone who needs a little nudge in the right direction when it comes to getting things done. Taking advantage of all the space and tech on offer at the library should be a no-brainer for everyone.

If you’re a book worm like me – or even if you aren’t – feel free to come and get your studying done among the shelves!

By Trine Olsen, Denmark, MSc in Forensic Anthropology, 2017/18