Sugandha Bhandari (India)

I am Sugandha Bhandari from India and I am studying a master’s in Corporate Communication. It sounds like it is a very niche subject, but it is not. This degree prepares students not just for communicating with corporate professionals and stakeholders, but also for handling crisis in marketing communications.

Undergraduate vs postgraduate studies

A typical day as a postgraduate student can be very different from that of an undergraduate student. When you are working on your bachelors, you may have plenty of time for studies and for yourself, and your courses are spread over multiple years. However, when you are doing your masters, you only have one year to learn and excel at everything.

On the other hand, just like an undergraduate student, it does require a lot of motivation to get me out of bed in the morning and make myself a tasty healthy breakfast before I get to the university.  On the bright side, I only need to go to uni three days a week!

Every day is different. There are days when I sit in class and attend a regular lecture. Yet, there are days when I meet guest speakers during the lectures, who are professionals in my field. There are also days when I get to go out and visit a communication agency myself – a fantastic opportunity to get real first-hand experience!

A new experience every day

I won’t lie.  A postgraduate programme is not easy – specifically the first semester. During the first term it can be overwhelming transitioning to a totally unfamiliar environment and adapting yourself to a new culture. However, slowly you start to blend in and look forward to each new day.

This journey is filled with hurdles as you balance your assignments and individual readings, while growing and maintaining a social life. The beauty of it is that every day brings you a brand-new experience.

Adding ‘extras’ to you main qualification

The best part of being an MA Corporate Communication student is that every class prepares you for the future. The icing on the top is that BU offers plenty of extra workshops for different certificates! Make sure to sign up for all the extra courses and certificates that the university has to offer.

Remember to make the most of your time here. Friends that you are going to make here are going to be with you for the rest of your life. With the help of your lecturers, you will have a clear view of what you want to do and where you want to work. By the end of your degree, you will be one step closer to your desired destination.

I am in my second semester of my masters right now and I can proudly say that I am so glad that I decided to pursue my degree at BU. With each passing day, I feel prouder of myself and BU.

Sugandha Bhandari, India,  MA Corporate Communication, 2017/18