Martina Gardeva

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”

I am Martina Gardeva from Bulgaria studying a Master’s in Tourism Management and Marketing here at BU since September 2017. Exactly a year ago, I was in my final year of studies at a Bulgarian university when I started to think about my future and the wide range of options I had in front of me. I decided that I wanted to continue my education abroad. I started looking for potential universities which could be a good fit for me and would help develop my professional career. Picking the right place for you is one of the most crucial elements when making this decision. After all, you will be investing a lot of time, money and effort in university.

BU had the course for me

One of the first options I saw during my research was Bournemouth University and its MSc Tourism Management and Marketing programme. It hooked me right away. Let me tell you the reasons why I picked BU and why I believe it was the best choice for me.

BU is professionally-driven

• It is one of the very few programmes for postgraduates that offers a placement opportunity.
  • My programme is accredited by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
  • The course is more practically-focused and many of the lecturers are involved in the industry.

BU is ahead of the game

• BU is one of the most international universities in the world. Feeling part of a community is really important when living away from home.
  • Bournemouth is establishing itself as a future technological and digital hub, as well as a prime place for related start-ups in the UK.

BU offers more than academics

• It is really close to London and you have plenty of chances to explore the beautiful Dorset area, as well as travel to most parts of Europe for as little as £15. Long live low-cost flights!
  • Bournemouth is a sunny and charming town, perfectly located ON THE BEACH!

Money matters at BU

• The living expenses in Bournemouth are relatively low compared to other cities in the UK.
  • It is easy to find a part-time job to help with your living expenses.
  • You can develop a wide range of professional networks which can help you for your future career.

Choose a university that matters

No matter what university you pick, I believe the most important part is to feel good in that place, to be surrounded by inspiring people, and to be able to open your mind to new possibilities. Making friends from all around the world and knowing diverse cultures is one of the best experiences one can possibly get. I consider myself lucky enough to have found all this here at Bournemouth University.

“The beauty of the world lies in the diversity of its people.”

Written by Martina Gardeva (Bulgaria), MSc Tourism Management and Marketing