Written by Liem Nguyen
LLM International Commercial Law
There is a rumour going around that says that living and studying in the UK is so expensive that you, as a student, have to struggle to cover all the expenses without breaking your wallet – but I’m here to tell you that’s not the case! You can still enjoy delicious foods, drinks and all types of entertainment activities by maxing out your student discounts. How? Here is my ultimate guide to the art of using student discounts.
1. For travel lovers: Get yourself a 16-25 Railcard to enjoy ⅓ off standard rail fares and/or Young Persons Coach card to enjoy ⅓ off standard coach fares, depending how you like to travel. Believe me, they are both worth every single penny you invest.
2. NUS extra card: It costs £12 for a one year membership but you really save a lot. It is a must-have, especially if you are a food or fashion addict. For example, NUS extra card gives you 50% of Spotify Premium packages, various discounts on numerous restaurants (e.g. Pizza Hut, PizzaExpress, ASK Italian), 10-20% off at different fashion retailers (e.g. ASOS, Warehouse, Lipsy, Aldo) and thousands of other constantly updated offers.
3. Student Beans: Register online and you will get a free digital student card. Here you will find a lot more special discounts that you may not be able to get with your NUS extra card. Some examples of their offers: 12% off 16-25 Rail Card, 25% off The Body Shop, 20% off Topman.
4. Unidays: Sign up for free and get access to millions of exclusive and limited offers from various stores. Examples of their offers include: 20% off ASOS, 25% off Missguided, 10% off Superdrug.
5. An extra email for website subscriptions: Of course it isn’t nice to get bombarded daily with thousands of junk and ad emails so set up an extra email account just for website subscriptions. Sometimes you may get big surprises and lots of exclusive offers and discounts that will help you save a lot of money.
6. In-house student discount info: Don’t look too far, our beloved uni has already prepared us a very useful online place where you can look for numerous student discounts and offers: https://www.subu.org.uk/student-discounts. Keep your eye on this!
Woohoo, the list could continue forever but I think the most important tips are already there. The bottom line is “Do not go out without your student card”, you never know when it will become your lifesaver. Happy reading guys and enjoy a “more noble” student life!