from England

MA Radio Production

Talbot campus is where I seem to be spending most of my time at the moment! With deadlines looming and projects well underway, I’m usually busy in the studios or in the library. Sometimes on days I’m feeling particularly organised I remember to pack a picnic in the mornings, but other days I seem to have barely enough time to brush my hair between the alarm and that 9am seminar. On the days I don’t bring my lunch in with me, I am really grateful for the catering facilities on Talbot campus!

If I’m looking for lunch then the cafeteria in Poole house is ideal. There’s a shop section with a wide array of sandwiches and snacks, or if you fancy hot food there’s plenty of choice too! Several food counters offering a choice of hot meals line the spacious eating area, including a Papa John’s Pizza kiosk – which always has a long but fast moving queue! There’s something for everyone. Whether you’re catching a bite to eat on your own or coming for lunch with friends or classmates there are various tables and always plenty of space.

If I don’t fancy a sit down meal, there are plenty of lunch options in the Student Shop at the entrance to Poole House.  Sandwiches, wraps, pasta pots and snacks are all available, as well as soft drinks and fresh fruit.

As well as being on hand for meal times, Talbot campus has plenty of options when you need a coffee!  There’s a Starbucks in the Student Centre with hot drinks and seating – it’s a great place to take a study break with friends. The Student Centre has a very relaxed atmosphere and is my go to place when I need a few minutes away from my books in the library.

Catering-on-Talbot

If I’m feeling particularly studious and am keen to crack on with my assignments, I can pop down to the library café on the ground floor. I get my required dose of caffeine without needing to venture out into the cold!

As a radio student I spend a lot of time in the Faculty of Media & Communication in Weymouth House. Often I’m there long after the coffee shop on the ground floor closes up for the day. If I get peckish during these evening sessions it’s easy enough to get a quick snack from the vending machines. During the day however, Weymouth House Café is bustling with students and staff alike. The sofa areas are perfect for meetings and tutorials, and ideal for just chilling out between lectures.

With its many shops and cafes Talbot campus is a good place to be when you need that essential brain fuel!

By Olivia Beazley