Isaac Baffoe-Nyarko, an MSc Public Health student from Ghana tells us his scholarship story…

Isaac-1-edI still remember my reaction when I opened my mail and read “Congratulations! I am delighted to confirm that you have been awarded The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship. It was Wednesday 30 April 2014 and a very important day in my life. Being awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship is one of the greatest things that has happened in my life personally, academically and professionally. I was introduced to this scholarship by a fellow scholar (Barnabas Bessing) who obtained the same award the previous year. He helped me through the process of application which I did online.

To me, the scholarship means more than just obtaining a Master’s degree and improving my academic portfolio. The scholarship represents an opportunity that will open several doors for me. Through the scholarship, I have had the opportunity to come to the United Kingdom and learn in one of the best universities in the world, Bournemouth University (BU). I have also had the opportunity of meeting some of the great men and women who have contributed in diverse ways to the practice of public health both in the UK and other parts of the world.

Studying at Bournemouth University is particularly interesting because the school’s climate provides a unique opportunity to all students irrespective of where we come from. This is because students are admitted from over 100 different countries in the world, and you know that for sure, you are not alone.

MSc Public Health at BU has been structured in such a way that it encourages the student to develop self-confidence and mastery of special areas of interest.

One factor that makes BU one of the best universities is the library resource that is available to the students. This library, apart from the overwhelming amount of both print and electronic literature, is also equipped with friendly technical staff that are always willing to assist the students in obtaining relevant literature for assignments and other purposes.

BU is not only graced with academic excellence, but also natural scenic areas, where you can refresh your mind or entertain friends and family. There’s the Bournemouth Pier, the world’s second largest natural harbour at Poole, Corfe Castle (which is one of Britain’s most majestic ruins), the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site and many others. In Bournemouth town, it’s very common to see places that have special discounts for students. These include cinemas, supermarkets, transport, and even restaurants.

Isaac-5-ed
The Commonwealth Scholarship means so much to me as a student, as an African and as a person. The scholarship is believed to be one of the most prestigious scholarships both in the UK and the world over. It includes a full tuition fee, a monthly stipend and airfare to and from the United Kingdom. The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship is opened to all Commonwealth countries and everyone who meets the set requirements, especially those who cannot afford a UK Master’s degree, and have the desire to make an impact in their home country. Application is free!!! Why don’t you try it too?

I am so proud to be a Commonwealth scholar and a student of Bournemouth University and if I had a second chance, I would still choose BU. Without the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship I wouldn’t be here, and I am so grateful!

By Isaac Baffoe-Nyarko

More information about how you can apply for the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme can be found on our website.

The BU Commonwealth Shared Scholarship is offered by BU in conjunction with the UK government.