alice-whiteOn a dark evening in March, my fellow MA film students and I began filming for a 5-minute short film. As an editor I often don’t get to participate on set, or get to travel to exciting and exotic places. Editors are normally the vampires of the film world – hermits tucked away in a dark room alone, in silence. So it was a nice change to be able to help with production as a script supervisor.

This film’s exotic backdrop was Kimmeridge House, which we were disguising as a hospital ward. The set design was a challenge as the budget was minimal, but with a little imagination and innovation I think we did very well to give it a hospital aesthetic. This was achieved through posters, which I designed, as well as dressing the desk and a very kind student nurse letting us borrow her uniform. It’s amazing how the little details come together to paint a larger picture.

motorbike-editedShooting a motorbike getaway behind Kimmeridge House.

We worked with a mixture of acting students from AUB, other students from Bournemouth University who could act, and some actors from the Bournemouth area. Our cinematographer shot with the C300 (it’s so heavy, I don’t know how she does it!), and the quality of the footage we got from the camera is fantastic.
media-2-ed

The director (left) talking to the sound recordists.

In total we filmed for about 50 hours on set, which was spread across seven days. It was a lot of footage to get through in the edit, but thanks to some detailed note-taking and good communication between myself and the director, we quite quickly managed to pull together a rough edit and refine it across a couple of weeks. Now all that is left is for the sound production to finish up, and we can enjoy the fruits of our labour!

media-1-edGetting ready to film a chase scene in Kimmeridge House.

By Alice White

Photos courtesy of Sheila Silveira