The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) has published the first release of finance data for UK higher education providers. This volume is published in a number of releases produced over the year.
Headline data reveals:
- The total income for the higher education sector was £37.5 billion in 2016-17.
- Income from tuition fees came to £17.7 billion across the UK, accounting for over half of total income in England and Wales.
- For providers in Scotland and Northern Ireland, grants from funding bodies exceeded tuition fees as a source of income.
- Expenditure across the sector was £34.5 billion, over of half of which was spent on staff costs.
- 55% of total staff costs were for academic staff, and the remaining 45% on non-academic staff.