HESA releases finance data for UK higher education providers

The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) has published the first release of finance data for UK higher education providers. This volume is published in a number of releases produced over the year.

Headline data reveals:

  • The total income for the higher education sector was £37.5 billion in 2016-17.
  • Income from tuition fees came to £17.7 billion across the UK, accounting for over half of total income in England and Wales.
  • For providers in Scotland and Northern Ireland, grants from funding bodies exceeded tuition fees as a source of income.
  • Expenditure across the sector was £34.5 billion, over of half of which was spent on staff costs.
  • 55% of total staff costs were for academic staff, and the remaining 45% on non-academic staff.

A selection of tables are available free of charge here, and the full dataset is available for purchase here.

Leave a Reply

Your details
  • (Your email address will not be published in your comment)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>