Visiting Scholar from Huelva Reports on Her Visit to BU

Since the findings in my last publication (Rodríguez Arrizabalaga 2014) have awakened in me, as a linguist, a new interest in the linguistic dimension of the English media, last February I applied for a three-week research visit at the  Faculty of Media and Communication (Bournemouth University) due to its internationally recognised status in this particular field of study.

During my three-week research stay at the University of Bournemouth, I have spent my whole days from Monday to Friday in the Sir Michael Cobham Library, revising and reading a huge number of bibliographical references dealing basically with the topics listed below, which are going to be the main tenets of the Research Project which I would like to apply for to the Spanish Ministry for Science and Education next year:

1. English as the global language: namely, its distinguishing features and its infuence in other languages (mainly Spanish);
  2. The phenomena of culture and identity (heterogeneity vs. homogeneity);
  3. Transnational relationships.
  4. The specific language of different media spaces (mainly, advertising).

I have brought to Spain with me a huge number of interesting ideas which are going to constitute the starting point for this new area of research in my academic career, which, as such, still require deeper investigation. There have been, however, too many bibliographic references that I have not had time enough to read which I would like to explore next year, if possible, in anoher research visit which I would like to apply for.

Apart from the time I have spent in the library, during my reasearch visit I have have some the opportunity of meeting really nice and interesting people from the Faculty of Media and Communication: Dr. Bronwen Thomas and Dr. Carrie Hodges are two cases in point. With the former I have had several talks about our projects and about the possibility of signing an Erasmus Agreement for Professors and Students between Huelva University and Bournemouth University; and with the latter I hope to co-work in the near future because our teaching  and research interests are quite closely related. I really appreciate their time and their kindness with me.

To finish, I would also like to thank the administrative work carried out by Jan Lewis, without which my research visit would not have been posible.