BA (Hons) Television Production

Gemma-JewellI’m going to be talking about the BU Academic Excellence Scholarship. It’s a scholarship worth £1,500 that’s given out to all students who achieve ABB or above at A-level or Distinction, Distinction, Merit or above in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. (As always, do check the terms and conditions!)

There’s an unlimited amount of scholarships available so nobody misses out; the only thing you need to do is achieve the grades! There is also no need to apply, because the scholarships are automatically handed out; BU will contact you if you have received this great bonus.

I was given my scholarship after I received A*A*B at A-Levels. I didn’t know about the scholarship before I applied so it came as a great surprise to me when I was told that I’d received one. I now wonder what I would have done without it! The money is paid in nine equal installments throughout the first year and is loaded onto a prepaid card.

I use this extra money to do my weekly food shopping, pay for travel expenses, buy books as well as other essentials. It’s also a nice little back up in case I run out of money one month. I know from speaking to other people that having this money takes away the pressure of getting a part-time job in first year. Having the scholarship money leaves me more time to focus on my studies and other social activities.

Not all universities offer such a good scholarship so it’s definitely one of many reasons why people should study at Bournemouth University!

By Gemma Jewell